The first part of the build was cleaning the bench from the last project(s).
Highlights of the build:
- Life is SO much easier with a drill press. - Just say'n.
- The "stickers" for the pipes didn't work for me. There was no good reference to line things up with them. I ended up using masking tape and created my own drill points. I put masking tap on the top of the two base pipes. Then took the aluminum channel, put it on top of the pipes, applied a good amount of pressure and scraped it along the top of the pipes. This scribed a nice straight line indicating where the top of each pipe was.
- The hole locations for the X u-channel did not match the structure. I ended up adding an extra hole in the channel
- I used the one of the stickers to get the location of the 1st hole. I used the u-channel mounting holes, the scribed "top of the pipe" line and a square to get the locations of the other 3 holes.
- The self tapping 10-24 screws I bought did not work in the pipe. 2 of them failed and I had to grind them out. I think I should have bought the ones with the bigger grove that deals with the shavings. Luckily I have a tap and dye set and used that to make the threads for the screws. I used a 5/32" drill bit for the hole.
Here is a time lapse of the build session. I think a higher vantage point would be better. I'll try that next time.